What we do!

GENEVA (Schwitzerland) - Musée d'ethnographie de Genève

The interview with Boris Wastiau was held on 5th March 2015. Since 2009 he has been director of the museum, having studied social sciences and anthropology in Brussels (Belgium), Coimbra (Portugal) and Norwich (United Kingdom). After a year as a freelancer at the museum and the department of anthropology, University of Coimbra, and an 18-month field trip in 1997, he was awarded a doctorate in art ethnology by Luvale, north-west Zambia. From 1997 to 2007 he was curator of the department of ethnography of the Musée Royal de l'Afrique Centrale, Tervuren (Belgium) and from 2007 to 2009 he was curator of the MEG's Africa and America departments.

Our activities (archives, exhibitions, library, depot)
On 5th and 6th March Andreas Schlothauer examined about 60 feather artifacts from the Amazon region in the Ports-Francs depot. Afterwards we visited the permanent exhibition, newly opened in November 2014, and the special Roi des Mochica exhibition, as well as the Marie-Madeleine Lancoux library. Between 2005 and 2014 Andreas Schlothauer spent a total of two weeks in the museum's depot and archives examining the inventory of feather works from the Amazon region. Audrey Peraldi visited Geneva twice in 2013 and 2014 and published an article on the museum's inauguration and its re-opening in the autumn of 2014 (Kunst&Kontext No. 08, 2014).

Museum information (museum category, when it was founded, exhibition rooms and funding)
In 1901, by merging several of the City of Geneva's ethnographic collections, the MEG was founded as a public institution of the City of Geneva on the initiative of the anthropology professor Eugène Pittard (1867-1962). At that time the museum was housed in the Villa Plantambour, by Lake Geneva. From 1941 it has been in a centrally located former school building in the Boulevard Carl-Vogt. Since the 1970s there have been several publicly presented and discussed projects that would have entailed the museum's moving to another location. At that time the temporary exhibitions were held in another building, the Villa Lombard, on the outskirts of Geneva. In 2010, after the people of Geneva voted 'yes', in a referendum, to the museum's location being on the Boulevard Carl-Vogt, as well as to the plan and to a budget of 67 million Swiss francs, the renovation of the historic administration building and the new building to house exhibitions, meeting rooms and a library began. The aim of the new construction and the conversion, completed in November 2014, was the enlargement of the museum building, a new way of presenting the collections, a programme to accompany the exhibitions, and the publicizing of research findings. The museum no longer wishes to be merely a place of knowledge but also a place for reflecting on the world's cultures.

The collection of approximately 80,000 objects has been located since 2004 in a depot of about 3,000 square meters in the 'Ports Francs' underground warehouses, about two kilometers away from the museum.

What reorganisation did the museum undertake in the last 10-15 years before the construction project?
At the same time as the collection was relocated to Ports Francs between 2002 and 2005, it was inventoried. All objects were individually photographed and the photos were integrated into a database, which is accessible online, together with the collection data in the inventory book, i.e. the index cards. The museum archives were handed over to the City Archives (Archives de la Ville de Genève) in 2012. There they were re-inventoried according to archival rules and are open to the public. Since 1991 the museum's journal (TOTEM) has appeared two or three times a year with reports on the history of the museum and the collections, on its projects and staff, but also featuring scientific articles and announcements about events.

The museum at the time of our visit (exhibitions, archives, reserve collection, etc.)
The new building, designed by architects Graber & Pulver, was inspired by both wickerwork motifs and traditional Indonesian houses. Two floors were constructed underground and three above ground, totaling about 7,200 square meters. Above ground there is a library and a media centre, as well as various work areas, a restaurant / café and a museum shop. The underground floors house a meeting room and exhibition rooms, comprising approximately 2,000 square meters. For temporary exhibitions there are about 1,000 square meters and in the permanent collection approximately 1,050 objects from five continents (including Europe) have about 1,000 square meters of exhibition space, i.e. an average of 200 objects per continent. The start of the exhibition shows how the MEG's collections were created. The boundary between this area and the rest of the permanent exhibition is marked by an installation by the Corsican artist Ange Leccia. There, the objects in the display cases are organised in parallel. The sequence of the objects is structured regionally, with one theme per continent. A separate area is dedicated to ethnomusicology, where the instruments are exhibited along with pictures of their original use and visitors can listen to sound samples. Textual descriptions, photos and films (in English and French) about all objects on display are available on the eMeg website during or after one's visit to the exhibition.

What the museum is planning for the coming 2-5 years
The reserve collection is to be transferred between 2017 and 2018 to the 'Carré Vert', a new depot about 500 meters from the MEG. Temporary exhibitions are planned in order to display objects that are under-represented in the permanent exhibition yet are of particular historical, ethnographical or aesthetic value, as well as the ethnological fieldwork by the museum curators, the results of collaborations with experts, institutional partners and representatives of the countries of origin. Through this scientific work the existing information in the museum's database may be supplemented and any errors corrected. In addition the museum aims to purchase works by contemporary artists and craftspeople.

Related article: Peraldi, Audrey. 2014. Die Neu- und Wiedereröffnung des Musée d'Ethnographie de Genève (MEG). In Kunst&Kontext 8, p. 14-19

ST. GALLEN (Switzerland) - Museum of History and Ethnography, St Gallen (HVM)

The interview with Daniel Studer took place on 3rd March 2015. He has been director of the museum since 2002, having studied art history and history at Zurich University and obtained an art history doctorate in 2002 on the subject of Martha Cunz, the art nouveau artist from St Gallen. For many years he has given public lectures on architecture and art history at the University of St Gallen (HSG) and the School of Design for Art and Cultural History, as well as publishing on art and art history.

Our activities (archives, exhibitions, library, depot)
Martin Schultz has been working as a guest curator for the museum since 2012 and is responsible for the new permanent North America exhibition, as well as being involved in activities relating to Central America, Australia and Oceania. Audrey Peraldi and Andreas Schlothauer are contributing to the overall agenda and participating in the selection of artefacts for the new permanent exhibition in the sections Africa and Amazon lowlands. Martin and Andreas have been working with the museum's archives and the reserve collection for many years.

Museum information (museum category, when it was founded, exhibition rooms and funding)
The museum's 70,000 artifacts are a combination of the ethnographic collections (comprising approx. 20,000 pieces) with the municipal and cantonal collections. The museum's foundations were laid by collections from two societies: the Historical Society of the Canton of St Gallen (from 1859 onwards) and the Geographic-Commercial Society of Eastern Switzerland (from 1878). In 1917 these societies donated their collections to the city of St Gallen, which built a new museum between 1914 and 1921 in the city's central park. This is where the offices, the reserve collection and the exhibition rooms are housed today. From 1979, the museum - together with the Natural History Museum and the Art Museum – has been a member of the group of "St Gallen Foundation Museums". In accordance with the board of sponsors' "3 museums, 3 buildings" objective of 2004, the legal and organizational structures were changed so that, since 1 January 2012, the HVM has been sponsored by a specific foundation funded by the city and canton of St Gallen.

What reorganisation has the museum undertaken in the last 10-15 years?
The ethnographic collection was stored until 2004 in the museum's attic (in its original form) and some of the new acquisitions were not inventoried. For the preservation of the collection and in order to complete an inventory, several employees were hired in the last decade. Fragile artifacts (textiles, feather ornaments, etc.) were kept in a small store. Most of the pieces have now been individually photographed and entered in the database together with the relevant information from the inventory book. Since 2010, a historian has been compiling files on the individual collectors, the objects and the museum building. The renovation of the museum building for approximately 7.5 million Swiss francs in the years 2012 to 2014 primarily affected the building's facilities and windows. Additional exhibition space was also obtained by repositioning the goods lift. Annual reports are published with articles on the work of the museum, as well as the visitor numbers for the 3 or 4 special exhibitions, the income statement and the balance sheet. Since 2010, no further ethnologists have been hired but the museum has been working together with external experts and universities on the design and implementation of ethnographic exhibitions.

The museum at the time of our visit (exhibitions, archives, reserve collection, etc.)
The museum is currently preparing the permanent North America exhibition, which will re-open in August 2015. Additionally, the museum is preparing the space which will house the permanent exhibition of objects from Egypt, Africa, South and Central America, Australia and Oceania. The current exhibition in this space presents the various stages in preparing the exhibition.

What the museum is planning for the coming 2-5 years
Beginning in 2017 the reserves are to be transferred to adjacent underground storage space, which was previously used by the art museum. All the conditions necessary for a modern storage facility will be met here. Work will continue on the object inventory and the compilation of a databank, which should both be finished by 2019. The permanent exhibition space for the regions of Africa, Egypt, America and Oceania, comprising approximately 220 m2, will be opened in early 2016. The exhibition will be organised by region but also according to the collectors and the scientific analysis of the collection holdings. A new permanent exhibition on Asia is planned for 2017. The object database is to be made at least partially accessible to the public online in the next few years.

Related article: Schlothauer, Andreas. 2011. Echt oder Falsch?. (Spring colloquium, 2010, Museum of History and Ethnography, St Gallen). In Kunst&Kontext, 2, pp. 23-25.

GENF (Schweiz) - Musée d'ethnographie de Genève

Der Interview-Termin mit Boris Wastiau war am 5. März 2015. Er ist seit dem Jahr 2009 Museumsdirektor und studierte Sozialwissenschaften und Anthropologie in Brüssel (Belgien), Coimbra (Portugal) und Norwich (Großbritannien). Nach einem Jahr als freier Mitarbeiter am Museum und Lehrstuhl für Anthropologie der Universität Coimbra und einem 18-monatigen Feldaufenthalt im Jahr 1997 promovierte er in Kunstethnologie zu den Luvale in Nord-West Sambia. Von 1997 bis 2007 war er Kurator der Abteilung Ethnografie des Musée royal de l'Afrique centrale Tervuren (Belgien) und von 2007 bis 2009 Kurator der Abteilungen Afrika und Amerika des MEG.

Unsere Aktivitäten (Archiv, Ausstellung, Bibliothek, Depot)
Am 5. und 6. März untersuchte Andreas Schlothauer im Depot (Ports-Francs) etwa 60 Federobjekte des Amazonasgebietes. Anschliessend besuchten wir die im November 2014 neu eröffnete Dauerausstellung und die Sonderausstellung (Roi des Mochica), sowie die Bibliothek Marie-Madeleine Lancoux. Zwischen 2005 bis 2014 war Andreas Schlothauer insgesamt zwei Wochen im Depot und Archiv des Museums, um den Bestand an Federschmuck aus dem Amazonas-Gebiet zu untersuchen. Audrey Peraldi war 2013 und 2014 zwei Mal in Genf und hat einen Artikel zur Neu- und Wiedereröffnung im Herbst 2014 veröffentlicht (Kunst&Kontext Nr. 08, 2014).

Informationen zum Museum (Art. Gründungsjahr, Lage, Träger)
Durch Zusammenführung mehrerer ethnografischer Sammlungen der Stadt Genf wurde im Jahr 1901 auf Initiative des Anthropologie-Professors Eugène Pittard (1867-1962) das MEG als öffentliche Institution der Stadt Genf gegründet, damals in der Villa Plantambour am Rande des lac Léman. Ab dem Jahr 1941 ist der Standort in einem zentral gelegenen, ehemaligen Schulgebäude am Boulevard Carl-Vogt. Seit den 1970er-Jahren gab es mehrere öffentlich präsentierte und diskutierte Projekte, die eine räumliche Verlagerung des Museums bedeutet hätten. Die Sonderausstellungen wurden damals in einem anderen Gebäude, der Villa Lombard, am Rande von Genf gezeigt. Nach positivem Volksentscheid der Genfer Bevölkerung (Referendum) zum Verbleib des Museums am Boulevard Carl-Vogt, zur Planung und zum Budget von 67 Millionen Schweizer Franken wurde im Jahr 2010 mit der Sanierung des historischen Verwaltungsgebäudes und dem Neubau für Ausstellungen, Tagungsräume und Bibliothek begonnen. Ziel des im November 2014 abgeschlossenen Neu- und Umbaues war die Vergrösserung des Museumsgebäudes, die neue Präsentation der Sammlungen, ein ausstellungsbegleitendes Programm und die Vermittlung von wissenschaftlichen Erkenntnissen. Das Museum will nicht mehr nur ein Ort des Wissens, sondern auch ein Ort der Reflexion über die Kulturen der Welt sein.
Die Sammlung von etwa 80.000 Objekten befindet sich seit dem Jahr 2004 auf etwa 3.000 Quadratmetern im unterirdischen Depot der Lagerhallen "Ports Francs", etwa zwei Kilometer entfernt vom Museum.

Was hat das Museum vor dem Neubauprojekt in den letzten 10-15 Jahren reorganisiert?
Mit dem Umzug der Sammlung nach "Ports Francs" in den Jahren 2002 bis 2005 war eine Bestandsaufnahme verbunden. Alle Objekte wurden einzeln fotografiert und die Fotos mit den Sammlungsinformationen des Inventarbuches bzw. der Karteikarten in einer Datenbank zusammengeführt, die online zugänglich ist. Das Archiv des Museums ist im Jahr 2012 dem Stadtarchiv (Archives de la Ville de Gèneve) übergeben worden, es wurde dort nach archivarischen Regeln neu inventarisiert und ist öffentlich zugänglich. Seit dem Jahr 1991 erscheint zwei bis drei Mal jährlich das Journal des Museums (TOTEM) mit Berichten zur Geschichte des Museums und der Sammlungen, zu Projekten und zu den Mitarbeitern, aber auch mit wissenschaftlichen Beiträgen und Veranstaltungsankündigungen.

Was war zum Zeitpunkt des Besuches? (Ausstellungen, Archiv, Depot, etc.)
Der Neubau der Architekten Graber&Pulver ist sowohl von Flechtmotiven, als auch von traditionellen indonesischen Häusern inspiriert. Es entstanden zwei unterirdische und drei oberirdische Etagen mit insgesamt etwa 7.200 Quadratmetern. Oberirdisch sind die Bibliothek und Mediathek, verschiedene Arbeitsräume, das Restaurant/Café und der Museumshop. In den unterirdischen Geschossen sind ein Tagungsraum und die Ausstellungsräume mit etwa 2.000 Quadratmetern. Für Sonderausstellungen sind etwa 1.000 Quadratmeter vorgesehen und in der Dauerausstellung werden auf ca. 1.000 Quadratmetern etwa 1.050 Objekte von fünf Kontinenten (inclusive Europa) gezeigt; also durchschnittlich 200 Objekte pro Kontinent. Am Ausstellungsanfang wird die Entstehung der Sammlungen des MEG thematisiert. Der Bereich ist durch eine Installation des korsischen Künstlers Ange Leccia von der restlichen Dauerausstellung abgegrenzt. Dort orientiert sich die Objektpräsentation in den Vitrinen an einer Compactus-Anlage. Die Abfolge ist regional gegliedert, wobei pro Kontinent ein Thema enthalten ist. Der Musikethnologie ist ein eigener Bereich gewidmet, in welchem die Instrumente gemeinsam mit Bildern ihres ursprünglichen Gebrauches zu sehen sind und Klangbeispiele gehört werden können. Zu allen ausgestellten Objekten sind weitere Texte, Fotos und Filme über das eMEG, einer Internetseite, während oder nach dem Ausstellungsbesuch abrufbar (englisch, französisch).

Was plant das Museum in den nächsten 2-5 Jahren?
Das Depot soll 2017 bis 2018 in einen Depot-Neubau (Carré-Vert), etwa 500 Meter entfernt vom MEG, umziehen. In Sonderausstellungen sollen weitere historisch, ethnografisch oder ästhetisch besonders wertvolle Objekte gezeigt werden, die in der Dauerausstellung unterrepräsentiert sind, sowie die ethnologische Feldforschung der Museumskuratoren, die Resultate von Kooperationen mit Experten, institutionellen Partnern oder Vertretern der Herkunftsländer vorgestellt werden. Durch diese wissenschaftliche Arbeit können die vorhandenen Informationen in der Datenbank des Museums ergänzt und etwaige Fehler korrigiert werden. Ein weiterer Akzent wird der Ankauf von Werken zeitgenössischer Künstler und Kunsthandwerker sein.

Artikel zum Thema: Peraldi, Audrey: Die Neu- und Wiedereröffnung des Musée d'Ethnographie de Genève (MEG). In Kunst&Kontext 8, 2014, S. 14-19

ST. GALLEN (Schweiz) - Historisches und Völkerkundemuseum St. Gallen (HVM)

Der Interview-Termin mit Daniel Studer war am 3. März 2015. Er ist seit dem Jahr 2002 Museumsdirektor und hat das Studium der Kunstgeschichte und Geschichte in Zürich (Schweiz) im Jahr 1992 mit einer Promotion in Kunstgeschichte über die St. Galler Jugendstil-Künstlerin Martha Cunz abgeschlossen. Seit vielen Jahren ist er Lehrbeauftragter für öffentliche Vorlesungen des Fachbereiches Architektur- und Kunstgeschichte an der Universität St. Gallen (HSG) sowie an der Schule für Gestaltung für Kunst- und Kulturgeschichte. Zahlreiche Publikationen zur Kunst- und Kulturgeschichte.

Unsere Aktivitäten (Archiv, Ausstellung, Bibliothek, Depot)
Martin Schultz arbeitet seit 2012 im Museum als Gastkurator und ist für die neue Dauerausstellung Nordamerika verantwortlich und in den Bereichen Mittelamerika, Australien und Ozeanien beteiligt. Audrey Peraldi und Andreas Schlothauer wirken an der Konzeption und Objektauswahl der neuen Dauerausstellung in den Bereichen Afrika und Amazonas-Tiefland mit. Archiv und Depot des Museums sind Martin und Andreas seit vielen Jahren bekannt.

Informationen zum Museum (Art, Gründungsjahr, Lage, Träger)
Das Museum ist ein Mehrspartenhaus mit rund 70.000 Objekten, außer der ethnografischen Sammlung (ca. 20.000 Stücke) gibt es Bestände zur Stadt- und Kantonsgeschichte. Den Grundstock legten zwei Vereine mit ihren Sammlungen: der Historische Verein des Kantons St.Gallen (ab 1859) und die Ostschweizerische Geographisch-Commercielle Gesellschaft (ab 1878). 1917 traten diese ihre Sammlungen an die Ortsbürgergemeinde St. Gallen ab, die 1914-1921 im zentral gelegenen Stadtpark ein neues Museumsgebäude errichtete, hier sind auch heute die Büros, das Depot und die Ausstellungsräume untergebracht. Ab 1979 war das Museum zusammen mit dem Naturmuseum und dem Kunstmuseum Teil der «Stiftung St. Galler Museen». Gemäss der Zielvorgabe «3 Museen – 3 Häuser» des Stiftungsrates im Jahr 2004 waren die rechtlichen und organisatorischen Strukturen so zu verändern, dass ab dem Jahr 2012 die Einzelstiftung tätig werden konnte, so dass seit dem 1. Januar 2012 das HVM von einer Einzelstiftung der Stadt St. Gallen und der Ortsbürgergemeinde St. Gallen getragen wird.

Was hat das Museum in den letzten 10-15 Jahren reorganisiert?
Die ethnografische Sammlung war bis 2004 im (nicht ausgebauten) Dachraum des Museums gelagert und ein Teil der Neuzugänge nicht inventarisiert. Um den Erhalt der Sammlung zu gewährleisten und eine Bestandsaufnahme durchzuführen, wurden in den letzten zehn Jahren mehrere Mitarbeiter eingestellt. Sensible Objekte (Textilien, Federschmuck, etc.) wurden in eine Compactus-Anlage verbracht, die meisten Objekte sind inzwischen einzeln fotografiert und mit den zugehörigen Angaben des Inventarbuches in der Datenbank zusammengeführt. Seit dem Jahr 2010 erarbeitet ein Historiker Akten zu den einzelnen Sammlern und rekonstruiert jeweils Teile der Museums- und Sammlungsgeschichte. Die Sanierung des Museumsgebäudes für rund 7,5 Millionen Schweizer Franken in den Jahren 2012 bis 2014 betraf vor allem die Haustechnik und die Fenster, außerdem wurden durch die Verlegung des Warenliftes zusätzliche Ausstellungsflächen gewonnen. Jährlich werden Geschäftsberichte veröffentlicht, die Texte zur eigenen Arbeit enthalten, außerdem die Besucherstatistik der 3-4 Sonderausstellungen, die Erfolgsrechnung und die Bilanz. Seit dem Jahr 2010 ist keine Ethnologin mehr im Haus angestellt und das Museum arbeitet seitdem bei der Konzeption und Realisierung von ethnografischen Ausstellungen mit auswärtigen Fachleuten und Universitäten zusammen.

Was war zum Zeitpunkt des Besuches? (Ausstellungen, Archiv, Depot, etc.)
Derzeit wird die Dauerausstellung Nordamerika vorbereitet und im August 2015 eröffnet wird. Weiterhin laufen die Vorbereitungen für den Raum der Dauerausstellung, in welchem zukünftig die Objekte aus Ägypten, Afrika, Süd- und Mittelamerika, Australien und Ozeanien gezeigt werden. Die jetzige Ausstellung in dem Raum präsentiert die Arbeitsschritte auf dem Weg zur Ausstellung.

Was plant das Museum in den nächsten 2-5 Jahren?
Mit dem Umzug in ein direkt angrenzendes unterirdisches Depot, das bisher vom Kunstmuseum genutzt wurde, soll ab dem Jahr 2017 begonnen werden. Dort werden dann alle Voraussetzungen erfüllt sein, die heute an ein Depot gestellt werden. Die Bestandsaufnahme der Objekte und der Aufbau der Datenbank werden fortgesetzt und sollen bis 2019 beendet sein. Der Dauerausstellungsraum zu den Regionen Afrika, Ägypten, Amerika und Ozeanien mit etwa 220 Quadratmetern wird Anfang 2016 eröffnet. Neben der regionalen Gliederung sind die Sammler und die wissenschaftliche Aufarbeitung des Sammlungsbestandes Themenschwerpunkte. Die Einrichtung der neuen Dauerausstellung Asien ist für das Jahr 2017 geplant. Die Objektdatenbank soll in den nächsten Jahren mindestens teilweise online für die Öffentlichkeit nutzbar gemacht werden.

Artikel zum Thema: Schlothauer, Andreas: Echt oder Falsch? Frühjahrstagung 2010 im Historischen und Völkerkundemuseum St. Gallen. In Kunst&Kontext 02, 2011, S. 23-25

GENÈVE (Suisse) - Musée d'ethnographie de Genève

L'entretien a eu lieu le 5 mars avec Boris Wastiau, directeur du musée depuis 2009. Boris Wastiau a fait des études en sciences sociales et en anthropologie à Bruxelles (Belgique), à Coimbra (Portugal) et à Norwich (Grande-Bretagne). Il a également été chercheur libre pendant un an au musée et département d'Anthropologie de l'Université de Coimbra. Il a obtenu son doctorat en 1997 avec une thèse sur les Luvale du Nord-Ouest de la Zambie, où il a séjourné pendant 18 mois. De 1997 à 2007, il a été conservateur à la section ethnographie du Musée royal de l'Afrique centrale, à Tervuren (Belgique) et de 2007 à 2009 conservateur des départements Afrique et Amérique du MEG.

Nos activités (archives, expositions, bibliothèques, dépôts)
Les 5 et 6 mars, Andreas Schlothauer a pu étudier 60 parures de plumes amazoniennes dans les dépôts du musée, aux Ports-Francs. Nous avons également pu visiter le nouveau musée, c'est-à-dire l'exposition permanente, l'exposition temporaire sur Les Roi des Mochica ainsi que la bibliothèque Marie-Madeleine Lancoux.
Entre 2005 et 2014, Andreas Schlothauer a passé deux semaines dans les dépôts et les archives du musée afin d'analyser les parures de plumes d'Amazonie. Audrey Peraldi a été plusieurs fois au musée entre 2013 et 2015 et a rédigé un article sur la réouverture du musée (Kunst&Kontext Nr. 08, 2014).

Informations sur le musée (type de musée, année de création, lieu, financement)
Le MEG est une institution publique créée en 1901 à partir des collections ethnographiques de la ville de Genève et sous l'impulsion du professeur en anthropologie Eugène Pittard (1867-1962). Installé tout d'abord dans la Villa Plantamour au bord du lac Léman, le musée déménage en 1941 dans un ancien bâtiment scolaire, au boulevard Carl-Vogt, dans le centre de Genève. Afin d'offrir un musée plus grand, plusieurs projets ont été proposés dès 1970. En attendant qu'un projet définitif soit accepté, le musée présente ses expositions temporaires dans l'annexe de Conches (Villa Lombard), aux portes de Genève. Après le vote positif de la population genevoise au référendum de 2010, le musée dispose d'un budget de 67 mill. de Francs suisse pour s'agrandir : un nouveau bâtiment est construit à côté des anciens bâtiments qui sont alors rénovés et réutilisés pour l'administration et les bureaux. Les collections de près de 80.000 objets se trouvent quant à elles depuis 2004 dans un dépôt souterrain de près de 3.000 m2 aux Ports Francs, à 2 km environ du musée.

Outre un agrandissement du musée, le but cette rénovation était également de proposer une nouvelle présentation des collections et un programme évènementiel de médiation culturelle et scientifique. Le musée ne veut plus seulement être un lieu de connaissance, mais aussi un lieu de réflexion sur les cultures du monde.

Ce qu'a réorganisé le musée ces 10-15 dernières années ?
Avec le déménagement des collections aux Ports Francs entre 2002 et 2005 tous les objets ont été recensés, inventoriés et photographiés. Les photographies, les informations de l'inventaire et des cartels ont été ajoutées à une base de données accessible en ligne. Les archives du musée, quant à elles, ont été transférées aux archives de la ville de Genève, reclassées et rendues accessibles au public. Depuis 1991, « Totem », le journal du MEG qui paraît deux à trois fois par an, présente l'historique du musée et de ses collections, ses projets, ses employés, des articles scientifiques et un calendrier des manifestations.

Le musée au moment de notre visite (expositions, archives, dépôts, etc.)
La nouvelle architecture du cabinet Graber&Pulver a été inspirée de certaines maisons indonésiennes et de motifs de vannerie. Elle est conçue sur 5 étages dont deux sont souterrains avec une totalité de près de 7.200 m2. Dans les parties supérieures se trouvent la bibliothèque, la médiathèque ainsi qu'une salle dédiée aux scolaires et aux groupes. Le rez-de-chaussée se partage l'accueil du musée, la boutique et le café-restaurant. Dans les étages inférieurs se trouvent les salles destinées aux manifestations et aux conférences mais aussi les salles d'expositions temporaires et permanentes. 1000 m2 sont destinés aux expositions temporaires et la même superficie est dédiée à l'exposition permanente et à ses 1.050 objets des 5 continents (Europe inclue), soit près de 200 objets par continent. L'exposition permanente est introduite de manière chronologique et thématique sur la création des collections du MEG. L'installation de l'artiste corse Ange Leccia sépare le reste de l'exposition dont les vitrines, parallèles les unes aux autres, présentent de manière régionale un thème par continent. Un secteur est également dédié à la musicologie dans lequel la présentation des instruments est accompagnée de reproductions des instruments dans leur contexte d'utilisation et d'une bande sonore. Enfin, l'eMEG, un site en responsive web disponible en français et en anglais et accessible pendant et hors des visites, donne accès à de nombreuses informations (textes, photos, films) sur chaque objet présenté en vitrine.

Que prévoit le musée dans les 2 à 5 prochaines années ?
Entre 2017 et 2018, le musée prévoit de déménager ses réserves, actuellement aux Ports-Francs, dans de nouveaux dépôts (Carré-Vert), à 500 m environ du musée. Les expositions temporaires présenteront les objets importants d'un point de vue historique, ethnographique ou esthétique qui sont sous-représentés dans les expositions permanentes, ainsi que les travaux de recherches menées par les conservateurs et les résultats des différentes coopérations avec les experts, les partenaires institutionnels ou les représentants des pays concernés. Le travail scientifique ainsi mené devra permettre de corriger ou de compléter les informations sur les collections du musée et dans la base de données. Un autre accent sera mis sur l'achat d'œuvres d'artistes et d'artisans contemporains.

Article associé : Peraldi, Audrey: Die Neu- und Wiedereröffnung des Musée d'Ethnographie de Genève (MEG). In Kunst&Kontext 8, 2014, p. 14-19

SAINT-GALL (Suisse) - Musée d'histoire et d'ethnographie de Saint-Gall

L'entretien a eu lieu le 3 mars 2015 avec Daniel Studer, directeur du musée depuis 2002. Daniel Studer est diplômé en histoire de l'art et en histoire à Zurich (Suisse). Il a obtenu son doctorat en histoire de l'art en 1992 avec une thèse sur l'artiste originaire de St-Gall, Martha Cunz. Depuis de nombreuses années, il est chargé de cours pour les conférences publiques en architecture et en histoire de l'art à l'université ainsi qu'à l'école d'art, des cultures et de design de St-Gall. Il a publié de nombreux textes en art et histoire des cultures.

Nos activités (archives, expositions, bibliothèques, dépôts)
Martin Schultz travaille au musée depuis 2012 en tant que commissaire invité. Il est responsable de la nouvelle exposition permanente de la section Amérique du Nord et il travaille également pour la section Amérique, Australie et Océanie. Audrey Peraldi et Andreas Schlothauer travaillent à la conception et au choix des objets pour la nouvelle exposition permanente de la section Afrique et Amazonie. Martin Schultz et Andreas Schlothauer travaillent déjà depuis longtemps sur les archives et les objets en réserve du musée.

Informations sur le musée (type de musée, année de création, lieu, financement)
Les 70.000 objets du musée regroupent à la fois les collections d'ethnographie (près de 20.000 objets) et les collections historiques de la ville et du canton. Deux associations sont à l'origine de ces collections : L'Association d'histoire du canton de St-Gall (à partir de 1859) et la Société de géographie et de commerce suisse-orientale (à partir de 1878). En 1917, ces collections sont cédées à la commune de St. Gall qui érige le musée dans un parc du centre ville. C'est dans ce bâtiment que se trouve aujourd'hui les bureaux, les dépôts et les salles d'exposition. Dès 1979, le musée d'histoire et d'ethnographie ainsi que le musée d'histoire naturelle et le musée d'art font partie de la « Fondation des musées de St-Gall ». À partir de 2004, l'objectif « 3 musées – 3 maisons » du Conseil de fondation modifie les structures juridiques et organisationnelles de la fondation afin qu'elle puisse travailler indépendamment. C'est ainsi que depuis le 1er janvier 2012, le Musée d'histoire et d'ethnographie est financé par une fondation propre au musée et par la commune de St-Gall.

Ce qu'a réorganisé le musée ces 10-15 dernières années ?
Jusqu'en 2004, la collection ethnographique était conservée dans les combles (non aménagées) du musée et une partie de objets entrés récemment dans les collections n'était pas inventoriée. Afin d'assurer la conservation des objets et de dresser l'inventaire des collections, le musée a embauché plusieurs employés ces dix dernières années. Les objets fragiles (textiles, parures de plumes, etc.) ont été placés dans des rayonnages Compactus® et la plupart des objets ont été photographiés et entrés dans la base de données avec les inventaires correspondants. Depuis 2010, un historien effectue des recherches dans la documentation du musée et reconstitue l'historique du bâtiment, de ses objets et de ses collectionneurs. Les rénovations du bâtiment du musée qui s'élevaient à près de 7,5 millions de francs suisse entre 2012 et 2014 concernaient principalement la domotique et les fenêtres, ainsi que le transfert du monte-charge qui a permis de gagner de l'espace pour les expositions. Chaque année, le musée publie un rapport d'activités dans lequel est présenté le travail effectué, les statistiques sur le nombre de visiteurs pour les 3 ou 4 expositions temporaires, le compte de résultat et le bilan. Depuis 2010, le musée n'emploie plus d'ethnologue mais il travaille à la conception et à la réalisation d'expositions ethnographiques avec des experts externes et des universités.

Le musée au moment de notre visite (expositions, archives, dépôts, etc.)
Le musée prépare en ce moment l'exposition permanente pour la section Amérique du Nord qui rouvrira ses portes en août 2015. La salle destinée à accueillir les expositions permanentes des collections d'Égypte, d'Afrique, d'Australie, d'Océanie, d'Amérique Centrale et du Sud est également en préparation et l'exposition actuelle présentée dans cette salle offre un aperçu des différentes phases du projet.

Que prévoit le musée dans les 2 à 5 prochaines années ?
Le début du déménagement des réserves dans un dépôt souterrain avoisinant le musée est prévu pour 2017. Toutes les conditions de conservation actuelles seront remplies dans ces nouveaux dépôts. L'inventaire des objets et la constitution d'une base de données se poursuivent et devront être terminés avant 2019. La salle destinée à accueillir sur 220 m2 les expositions permanentes pour l'Afrique, l'Égypte, l'Amérique et l'Océanie rouvriront leurs portes début 2016. Les collections seront organisées non seulement de manière géographique mais aussi selon les collectionneurs et les recherches scientifiques menées sur les collections. La création d'une nouvelle exposition permanente réservée à l'Asie est prévue pour 2017. La base de données des objets devrait être disponible en ligne, du moins en partie, dans les prochaines années.

Article associé : Schlothauer, Andreas: Echt oder Falsch? Frühjahrstagung 2010 im Historischen und Völkerkundemuseum St. Gallen. In Kunst&Kontext 2, 2011, p. 23-25